M Rajaram heads India Practice Area(s) and the non-contentious work in Straits Law Practice LLC.
M Rajaram graduated from the University of Singapore in 1978. He holds an MBA from Maastricht. He was a former Police Officer who was admitted to the Supreme Court of Singapore in 1980. A Notary Public and Commisioner of Oaths, he is also a Solictor in England and Wales. He started his professional career as a litigator in criminal and civil proceedings and for 15 years, and since then, he has been actively practising in the areas of Banking and Transactional Work, Merger and Acquisitions, Cross Border Work, Real Estate, Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring and Arbitration. He is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (FSIArb) as well as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb). He is also an Accredited Mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC). M Rajaram received his training in mediation at SMC and Harvard Law School. He currently sits on the Presidential Council for Religious Harmony.
He is a Past Chairman of the Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and was the Vice-Chairman of the Singapore Business Federation, and Council Member of ASEAN Chamber of Commerce and Industry. He is the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Mali in Singapore. M Rajaram is actively involved in social work at the grassroots level and is a Patron of the Taman Jurong Citizenship Consultative Committee, having served as a Member of the Taman Jurong CCC for many years. He also assists in running the legal clinic at Jurong MPS on a weekly basis. He is also an EXCO member of the Dyslexia Association of Singapore, a Member of the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee of the Institute of South East Asian Studies (ISEAS) and Chairman of its Audit Committee. M Rajaram sits as an Independent Director in some Companies listed in the Singapore Stock Exchange. He is also a Term Trustee in Singapore Indian Development Association (SINDA).
For his contributions to Society and to the business community, during his tenure as Chairman of the Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, M Rajaram was bestowed the PBM (Pingkat Bakti Masyarakat – The Public Service Medal) by the President of the Republic of Singapore.
His teams have advised on a full spectrum of loan and other debt-related and corporate transactions, and a sampling of the casework is set out below:
- Syndicated loans
- Cross border financing
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Project, asset and asset-backed financing
- Risk and funded transfer and management advice
- Security arrangements and documentation
- Shareholders’ and joint venture agreements for local and foreign parties
- Comprehensive corporate secretarial services for private, public and publicly-listed companies
- Debt restructuring and insolvency
- Sale and purchase of businesses and assets
- Due diligence
- Hotel management and service agreements
- General commercial advice
- Working closely with reputable law firms in multiple jurisdictions to provide necessary cross-border transactional advice
Rajaram also oversees the Real Estate team and because of his close working relationship with the colleagues in the Real Estate team, and coupled with his ability to offer sound and commercially focused solutions to clients, Straits Law Practice LLC is able to provide clients with comprehensive legal advice.
- Acted for Lender in respect of loan and security documents for acquisition of a company in Europe for an aggregate loan quantum of US$50 Million.
- Acted for various lending syndicates in respect of the refinancing of a syndication loan for a consortium of worth US$2.1 Billion.
- Acted for Lenders, Arrangers and Security Agent in respect of a working capital Demand Loan Facility, Documentary Credit Facility and Loan Equivalent Risk Facility amounting to US$56 Million.
- Represented foreign lender in the taking of various local law securities in relation to a multi-tranche credit facility for the financing to a global group of companies in the sum of AUD77 Million.
- Acted for lender with respect to the refinancing of a revolving term loan facility and secured by charge over book debts, pledge of stocks, mortgage over immovable properties and pledge of shares.
- Advised supplier of Lease line operations in relation to service and provision agreements with an international telecommunication operator.
- Acted for a private limited company in its restructuring exercise undertaken for the purpose of listing on the Singapore stock exchange.
- Advised on the enforceability of construction loan agreements and various local law securities given by a conglomerate construction company to construct a school campus in Singapore.
- Provision of legal advisory work to a Singapore public listed company in the construction industry.
- Acted for Singapore company in the set up and incorporation of a company in India.
- Advised the Singapore branches of foreign banks in its kitting up program and preparing the relevant standard loan and security documents.
- Acted for MNC borrower with respect to documentation on the refinancing of loan facility secured by debenture and mortgage.
- Acted for Singapore Company in its coal mining project in Indonesia.
- Acted for vendors in collective sale involving multiple properties under the Land Titles (Strata) Act
- Acted for MNC company in structuring and providing legal services in its several coal mining and manganese mining projects in Indonesia.